Monday, October 13, 2014

Week 9 Essay: Blackfoot Stories

I found the stories in Blackfoot Stories to be very entertaining to read! I am really not sure if these stories were meant to make you laugh, but most of them I read made me laugh quite a few times. The one I laughed at the most and probably one of my favorites was The Smart Woman Chief. I thought it was interesting that the story started out comparing men and women. One of the main things that stuck out to me in the beginning was when it said that men are better than women, but women are smarter. What is interesting is that is a mentality that still exist in our society today. Men are often times superior in things like sports and the workplace. I like that this story gave empowerment to women, and it also made me laugh. I loved that these stories in this unit were easily relatable to other aspects of our lives. The Smart Woman Chief story obviously is more relatable to women because we all know that feeling of rejection from a man when were not all dolled up and pretty, but I like that the woman picked someone else in the end even though after she was cleaned up, the man she originally wanted finally noticed her. She didn't allow him to the get the satisfaction of getting what he wanted. I think Laura did a great job of giving the right information about this unit to allow someone to decide whether they want to read this unit or not. Also, I would recommend everyone read this unit because it is an easy read. It is very easy to understand, and if you want, you can listen to the audio so you do not have to read it yourself. That is what I did. I love being read to, especially fun stories like these!

Blackfeet Indian Stories

No comments:

Post a Comment