Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Week 11 Storytelling: The Plan

Noose

Babes and beer. That's all he cares about. He carries on with his life without a care in the world. If I don't do something now, that wayward son of mine will spend all of his inheritance after I pass, and then what will he do? Things sure would be different if his mother was still around. God rest her sweet soul. After his momma passed, he's never been the same.

I've got an idea! I'll have my worker build me a hut, and this is where I'll store up some gold for my son as security just in case (and I'm sure he will) he spends everything he owns and is left to be a beggar the rest of his life. Not my son! But it can't be that easy. If he knows this back up gold is here, he will never spend it wisely. I must think of a way to give it to him without actually "giving" it to him. Maybe teach him a lesson.

I figured out the best plan! Here's what I'll do: I'll give my son a key to the hut and tell him to go there when he has spent everything. Knowing him, he won't think twice about the hut (he hated that place), and he'll probably lose the key anyways. When he arrives at the hut (without the key) he will have to fight his way in. Once he's in, he'll see the noose I have set up. He'll then notice a piece of paper nailed to the door from yours truly stating "You've spent it all. Fulfill your father's wish and end your misery." Of course, at this point, because he will be so upset about losing everything, he will probably attempt to hang himself.

I know what you're thinking. Cruel father, right? Well, that's what he gets. I love my son very much, and if you knew him, you'd understand this is the only way to force him to leave his old life and become a responsible human being. Anyways, after he falls to the ground and realizes he's not dead (the noose wasn't attached to anything), he will find the hidden gold, and hopefully he will realize his foolishness and finally do what I could only have wished of him when I was still alive. GROW UP.

The End.

Author's Note:
This storytelling is from my favorite story this week called The Story of John O'Groats. It's a story about a lord who passes and leaves everything to his prodigal son. As predicted by his father, the son spends all his inheritence and is forced to give up his estate to the factor. He goes to the hut his father built and attempts to hang himself because of a letter found written by his father. After his attempt, he realizes the father only did this is teach him a lesson, and he finds the hidden gold from his father. I decided to tell this story from the point of view of the father. Hope you guys like it!

Bibliography:
Welsh Fairy-Tales and Other Stories by Peter H. Emerson (1894). Source: Myth Folklore Book

2 comments:

  1. This retelling was really good! I liked the well-meaning intentions and snarky personality of the father, though it’s true that his method seemed cruel (until he said that the noose wasn’t attached to anything). Those last two sentences were hilarious and showed that even though the father cared for the son, he was more than a little annoyed at his son’s immaturity. Anyways, this was really well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marissa, great job on this storytelling post! I liked that you changed the point of view to give the reader a different perspective. As I was reading this, I first thought that the father was going to major extremes in telling his son to hang himself, but I'm glad that it turned out just to be a trick to teach him a lesson! What a way to redefine "tough love."

    ReplyDelete