Thursday, October 2, 2014

Week 7 Essay: More Brer Rabbit

Brer Rabbit
Source: Flickr
 
This week I decided to read the second Brer Rabbit unit because I really enjoyed reading the first Brer Rabbit unit. I was not able to read the first part of the unit, so I cannot comment on all of the stories in this unit, but the stories I was able to read were so cute! I like that the trickster aspect of Brer Rabbit's character continues throughout all the stories. I think it allows you to expect him to be up to no good, but then again, you are never sure what he is going to do. I also think it is hilarious that he is always able to trick Brer Fox. You think he would learn by now! Of course, like the previous Brer Rabbit unit, these stories are also told in dialect, so they may be harder to understand for others. The audios that are available are lifesavers and allow you to listen, rather than read, the stories. I really like having this resources because I am not sure I would be able to understand what was going on even if I tried reading the stories out loud. My favorite story from this unit was Mr. Fox is Again Victimized and I used this story when writing my storytelling for this week. The main reason I liked it was because Brer Rabbit was able to trick Brer Fox yet again! I bet Brer Fox was sure he had Brer Rabbit this time since he was hiding in a tree, but of course, Brer Rabbit was able to get away again. Like the first Brer Rabbit unit, I would recommend this unit. I think that anyone would enjoy taking a break from actually reading the other units, and be able to listen to the stories read to you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment