Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Week 2: Essay

The story unit I read for this week is Adam and Eve. The reason I chose this unit was because I found it fitting for the first reading. Because Adam and Eve is accounted in the book of Genesis, meaning the beginning, I thought, "what better way to start my readings?" I enjoyed reading the first two stories because they were from the Bible, and I have heard this story countless times. I was really surprised by the stories that followed. Stories from The Legends of the Jews was really interesting to me because there were different interpretation of the beginning of the earth and humankind. One of my favorite stories that I read was Lilith. Reading that Adam had a different wife before Eve definitely throws a twist into the story most people hear. I also enjoyed reading from The Forgotten Books of Eden. Reading about the struggles Adam and Eve endured after being cast out of the Garden of Eden makes you really feel bad for them! I did get a little irritated when they kept killing themselves, but I guess if you have experienced a beautiful place like the Garden of Eden, and then you are cast out to live in a cave, you would have no will to live. Thank goodness God was merciful and eventually accepted their sacrifice for forgiveness of their sins! I think there was adequate enough information on the unit page for someone to decide whether they would want to read this unit or not. One suggestion may be to let them know these stories use words such as didst and thou. Sometimes reading stories written like this take longer to read, so if someone is wanting an easy, fast read and depending on their ability to quickly read in this form, they may not want to read this unit.

Lady Lilith
Source: Wikimedia

No comments:

Post a Comment