Thursday, August 28, 2014

Storytelling for Week 2: Lilith, The Real First Woman

One day in Ms. Dutton's 3rd grade class, during story time, she began to tell the children the story of the beginning of existence. She had just recently read The Legends of the Jews, and she could not wait to tell them all about it.

Lady Lilith
Source: Wikimedia

She began her story telling, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and earth. He created the sun and moon, the lands and seas, the animals and plants, and lastly, man. The first man to ever roam the earth was named Adam. Now, I know that you all are thinking you know what comes next, but I am here to tell you that you are wrong! Someone raise their hand and tell me what God created after Adam? If you were going to say Eve, put your hand down because that is incorrect. That's right, Eve was not the first woman! Crazy, huh? I thought so too, until I heard the real story. God created Lilith from the dust, the first women, for Adam to rid him of his loneliness, but poor Adam, that first woman of his left him! Her very purpose was to be with Adam so he was no longer alone on earth, and she could not stand to be with him. Instead, she ran away, and was later found by three angels sent by God to bring her back to Adam. That crazy lady refused to obey them, so they made a deal with her. If she would not return to Adam, one hundred of her demon children would die every day. EVERY SINGLE DAY! She went along with the deal, so I guess that says a lot about Adam. I mean, was it really that horrible living with him? I guess so! Anyways, Adam was alone, so God created Eve, the second woman to be made and end Adam's loneliness. The end."

Author's Note: I used the story Lilith to retell this week. The basic story stayed the same, but I decided to add a storyteller, Ms. Dutton, to make it more interesting. In the story, it tells of Adam's loneliness and God's attempt to end his loneliness by creating a woman from dust, instead of from Adam's rib. She did not want to be with him so she ran off, and refused to come back even when she was told that one hundred of her demon children would die every day. After her refusal to return, God created Eve from Adam's rib, making her the second woman to live on earth.

"Lilith" by Louis Ginzberg, The Legends of the Jews (1909). Web Source: Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook



2 comments:

  1. Hello Marissa, I enjoyed reading your story. I like the twist you put on it with Lady Lilith. In the beginning of the story I was like what?! Eve was not the first woman created? One question I had was, Is Lilith's Children demon children, or does god turn them into demon children and then kill them? It was a very creative story. I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story Marissa! I liked how you wrote this story as if someone who had heard it before was repeating it out loud to an audience. Adding the character of "Ms. Dutton" as the narrator and writing the story in a more modern dialect made this tale much easier to understand. I think Ms. Dutton's class may have had a hard time understanding the old-timey language in the original text!

    ReplyDelete