Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Week 5 Storytelling: Aladdin

Aladdin in the Cave of Wonders
Source: Animated Views

"Daddy, daddy, daddy! Tell me a bedtime story." Little Savannah begged and pleaded.

"Alright, alright. What kind of story do you want to hear?" Savannah's father was trying to quickly think of something. "Hopefully nothing about princesses." He thought to himself.

"Ohh, I know! Tell me the story about Princess Jasmine from the Aladdin movie! Pleaseeeee!"

Great. Savannah's dad quickly picked his brain for the story of Princess Jasmine. "That's the story with the genie and the lamp right?"

"Yeah and Princess Jasmine and her palace. Come on daddy, tell me the story!"

"Okay, how about this. How about I tell you the story of Aladdin when he found the lamp? The REAL story."

"Ooo the real story?! Yeah, tell me, tell me!"

"Here goes nothing...


For there once was a boy named Aladdin
Whose father he sure did sadden
His boy gave him trouble
So he soon died, and was buried beneath the rubble

One day, along came a magician
Who lured Aladdin into submission
"Young man, I am your father's brother,
Will you please go fetch your mother?"

"I have come to help you,
Let us go shopping and find you a new hair do."
Little did Aladdin know,
That this magician was a no good lying foe

"Into the cave you go,
And follow the light from which the cave will glow.
It is here that you will find the lamp,
Make haste, and watch your step on that ramp."

Aladdin had spotted the sought out beloved treasure
And when the magician noticed, he laid on the pressure.
"Alas, you have found what I have been searching for,
Hand it here so I can seal this cave door."

No way, no how, not before I step out.
Let me out first, or I will remain and allow you to continue to pout.
The magician grew angry, and before Aladdin could react,
The stone was rolled over the cave mouth and unable to retract.

Just as he was getting to the good part, he could tell his little princess was falling asleep. "We'll finish the rest tomorrow night princess."

"Okay, good night daddy."

Author's Note:
I pretty much kept the story, Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp Part 1, the same although I did not get nearly as far into the story. If I did, it would have been a pretty long poem. I thought telling this story from the point of view of a father telling his daughter a bed time story would be fitting since this is a story about Aladdin. Many people are familiar with this story, but probably do not know the actual story it is based on. It has quite a few differences, but it is still a great story!

The Arabian Nights' Entertainment by Andrew Lang (1898). Web Source: Arabian Nights Unit



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading your version of this story! I enjoyed how it was short, sweet, but sufficient and to the point! I remember watching the movie Aladdin when I was little, as I'm sure a lot of us did! I like how you told it in the point of view of a father telling his daughter a bed time story, it was more realistic and a bit more modernized. I had no idea that there even was a story about how aladdin came upon the lamp. I found the poem version to be more interesting to read! I think I might have to read the full story later! How was the rest of this unit? Would you recommend it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way you set this up in a poem format and from the fathers perspective of telling his daughter! It is a very sweet way to tell Aladdin's story, especially since the original of it is very different than most of us know! Reading it as a poem kept me very interested and honestly made me ready for tomorrow's bedtime story too since you used that to end it before it got too long, which was a fantastic idea. Good job summing up the best points of the original!

    ReplyDelete