Thursday, September 18, 2014

Week 5 Essay: Arabian Nights

Aladdin Arabian Palace
Source: Deviant Art


Because I grew up loving the Disney version of Aladdin, I was quickly drawn to the unit Arabian Nights. I always related to Jasmine because she was "brown" like me. Haha I even dressed up as her for Halloween when I was six years old. Although I was not able to read the first half of this unit because of how crazy busy my life has been, I still enjoyed reading the second half of it because it was the part of this unit that I was looking forward to reading. Before reading the story about Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp, I expected it to vary from the Disney version we are all familiar with. Obviously the Disney version added characters and scenes to this story to make it more marketable such as Aladdin's monkey friend Abu, but I loved the original story. I think I may have liked it a little bit more than the Disney version. I think my favorite part about it was the magician throughout the story first plotting to use Aladdin to get the lamp, and then later trying to steal it from Aladdin after he learns of his riches and success from the genie in the lamp. It made me curious as to why Aladdin was chosen by the magician to try to find the lamp. Maybe he thought a careless boy like him would be easily manipulated into doing the magician's dirty work. I would definitely recommend this unit to everyone in class because I think it is fun to go into a unit expecting something and coming out completely surprised after you have finished reading. Also, I do not think there is a necessity for more information about the unit. I think the information provided is enough to draw the reader in if this is a unit that seems interesting to them.

No comments:

Post a Comment