Friday, September 26, 2014

Essay for Week 6: Brer Rabbit

The unit I read this week was called Brer Rabbit and the story I really enjoyed reading was Old Mr. Rabbit, He's a Good Fisherman. Although I really liked this unit, I am not sure if this unit is for everyone. I have read a few units so far that may use words or a language that is harder to read. I do not mind reading units like this, but some people may be looking for a unit that is an easy read. One good side that may be an incentive to read this unit is the audio available to listen to because it's almost near to impossible to understand the stories if you try to read them yourself. Just look at the first story, and you'll know what I'm talking about! Haha Laura Gibbs is nice enough to give a heads up about this use of dialect to tell the story and will suggest you listen to the audio. Listen to her! Also, I was only able to listen to the second half of the reading due to my absolutely crazy schedule this week. Two math tests two days in a row consumed all my time this week. I am sure the first half was just as great as the second half, but if you end up only reading the second half like me, it is important to know that the stories are told by Uncle Remus to his nephew. I also think I enjoyed this story because even though I could not actually read the story myself, it was easy for me to understand the dialect. I am from Louisiana. I lived there for 21 years, and let me tell you, some (not all) people talk like this back home. No joke. So this story gave me a little piece of home. Hope others enjoy it as much as I did!

Joe Dirt - Louisiana
Source: Fark
 
I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. When I read this story, all I could think about is the scene from Joe Dirt, when he goes to Louisiana and runs into this guy.

No comments:

Post a Comment