Sunday, November 9, 2014

Week 15: Writing for Myth Folklore

Because I had taken the Indian Epics class last semester, I was familiar with the set up for this class. I knew what to expect out of the assignments, but I was surprised that this class required a little more writing, although I was completely fine with that. In Indian Epics, we were required to take quizzes over the reading we did. Instead, for Myth Folklore, we are able to create a Reading Diary to take notes about the stories we were reading for each unit. I think I liked this option better because the Reading Diary helped me substantially on the Storytelling for each week. I can't think of one time when I did not refer to my Reading Diary when writing my Storytelling. The Reading Diary allowed me to look back and remember what I read the day or two days before. I chose to create a Storybook for this class which I really enjoyed doing. I love the idea of creating our own stories from original stories. I love seeing everyone's creativity, and it allowed me to try to use idea from my classmates. Maybe one suggestion for storybook comments would be to require every comment to include a suggestion for how the student could better their Storybook. A lot of people comment was great encouragement, but I noticed few students gave suggestions on how to make the story better. Some students may be uncomfortable with telling someone that they should fix something, but I think constructive criticism is a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you did this assignment, Marissa - since you can compare the two classes, that makes your comments really valuable! The Indian Epics class had reading diaries this semester too, and just like you said, it was something people could use for their storytelling AND the diaries could also help with the Storybook (which is not the case in Myth-Folklore). So, I am really glad you liked the diaries. I figured people would like that better than the quizzes, and I enjoyed it a lot too, since I got to see what parts of the reading people like best/least and so on. And I like the idea about trying to get at least one improvement suggestion in every comment: for the people who are shy to make comments like that, having it be required might make it easier to share their thoughts that way! It sounds like it would definitely be worth a try anyway to see what happens: THANK YOU! :-)

    ReplyDelete